Wednesday 30 January 2013

Smocking Revisited

Last February, after a visit to Saumur, we wrote about the price of some little girls' smocked dresses we had seen there.

The end result of this was my first smocking for many years....

But since then, despite several encouraging comments regarding the "Gone Smocking" post, the two lengths of fabric have remained untouched in a drawer....

However, this month I finally got round to making the first piece up into a christening gown...


Quite what I'm going to do with it, I'm not entirely sure...

So if anyone knows of a good marketplace for a Christening gown in pure cotton jacquard, fully lined and to fit a 6-9 month old... I'd be only too pleased to hear.

It even comes with its own matching hanger...

Now whose bright idea was it to do the second piece of smocking...!

6 comments:

GaynorB said...

Beautiful work.

Perhaps a craft market where people are often appreciative of the work involved or word of mouth. You perhaps need to target grandparents who might be on the look out for something to pass on.

We made one for Rhiannon (without the exquisite smockingwhich your has) which we hope she and Tom will use with their children.

The Broad said...

Smocking is something I've never learned to do -- though I absolutely love it. When I was little my grandmother made all of the clothes my sister and I wore -- and she smocked almost every one of them. Of course I did not appreciate any of it!

Anyway, your work is just beautiful and I am full of admiration...

Tim said...

Have you got a local craft group in the Richloooks area?
There's in the Pressignoise region... they often have exhibitions... and I have seen peoples "cartes de visite" on the table... just a thought.

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Thanks for those ideas Gaynor. It's knowing where and who to target that makes all the difference.

What a lovely idea making Rhiannon a gown to pass down as an heirloom!

Colin and Elizabeth said...

The Broad, thank you for your kind comment.

My mum used to smock all my dresses - and like you, I'm not sure I appreciated it!!

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Tim, that's worth finding out about. I haven't heard of one but that doesn't mean there isn't one! and the "cartes de visite" are a good idea. Thank you!