Friday 17 August 2012

Lemon Polenta Traybake

A lady who knows just about everything there is to know about baking, very kindly gave me this book as a birthday gift..

I have tried a couple of the recipes, including Mega Chocolate Muffins which I intended doing a post about. But in the meantime another recipe caught my eye  - Lemon Polenta Traybake...

It is moist, light and delicious (and very simple to make).

Things you'll need for the traybake mix:

175g (6oz) butter/ spread
175g (6oz) sugar
3 medium eggs, beaten
150g (5½oz) fine polenta
100g (3½oz ground almonds
2tsp baking powder (gluten-free, if coeliac.)

 Things you need for the lemon syrup:

50g (2oz) granulated sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon

What you do:

  • Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ Gas4
  • Beat the butter and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.


  • Gradually add the beaten egg and the polenta and mix well. Fold in the ground almond, vanilla and baking powder 
  • Spoon the mixture into a shallow baking tin  8x27cm (7x10½ inch) and level with the back of a spoon.
  • Bake for 30mins until golden and a skewer inserted in the middle of the bake comes out clean.
  • Whilst the traybake is in the oven prepare the syrup by mixing the sugar and lemon juice and zest in a small bowl until the sugar begins to dissolve.
  • Remove the traybake from the oven and pour the syrup over the warm bake whilst it is still in the tin.
  • Once cooled, remove and cut into squares. (Makes about 16)



How good is that?!
The bake freezes well - given half the chance!!

1 comment:

Jean said...

Wow, well done, it looks delish !!
And I definitely don't know everything, but I'm learning fast, roughly in proportion to the increase in my waist measurement but I don't post about my disasters !!
I shall remember this one for Nick's next cake stall at work, as gluten free recipes are invited and this one looks easy and quick to do. And who doesn't love lemon cake ?