Thursday 9 August 2012

Dog Fouling

Being a dog lover and having owned several dogs in the past, one of the more unpleasant tasks is cleaning up after them, especially when out for a walk.

On a recent visit to Rochefort, I was pleased to see a dog fouling station sited on a green area on the outskirts of the town.



It is the first one I have seen in France. They are a great idea and every town should have one, especially as I would like another dog in the future - that's if I can convince Elizabeth it won't eat her!

So well done Rochefort and my your town stay free of dog poo...

Whilst I was researching the availability of such facilities in England and came across this fact about UK dogs... "Estimates put the UK dog population between 6.5 and 7.4 million, producing 1,000 tonnes of excrement per day." However you look at it, that's an awful lot of dog poo!!!

I have noticed some facilities in my past work travels around the UK but they appear to be thin on the ground - unless, of course, you know otherwise...

Here are a couple of links if you would like to know a bit more...

Information about UK Dog fouling laws... *******
UK supplier of Dog fouling stations...      *******


1 comment:

Susan said...

I once saw Peter Mandelson in St James's Park cleaning up after his labrador.

I've seen dog poo stations like that, with bags, once or twice in France, but never in the UK. More common in both places are the dog poo bins in parks.

Here in Preuilly you can get a supply of dog poo bags from the mairie if you go and collect them. Hopefully stations like the one above will become common, and regularly restocked with bags. Just so long as the people using them don't get the idea that once the poo is in the bag you just toss it in the bushes, hang it from a twig at the side of the path or drop it in the gutter (where it gets run over and bursts). My experience with this sort of thing in the UK does not fill me with hope.