Thursday 29 March 2012

Taupes; Not for the squeamish!

Colin has won another round in the never ending battle against that cunning of creatures, the mole!


The trap was set (above) and within an hour it was triggered, successfully!


The psychology is all wrong... we go to great lengths to repatriate spiders, bees and baby lizards when they stray onto our "patch" but we take great delight in the successfully sprung trap which spells the end of one unlucky mole... But then again, spiders, bees and baby lizards don't tend to make our lawn look like the surface of the moon!

11 comments:

Jean said...

Part of me wants to say "poor thing" but the other part "hooray, well done".
I don't like killing things and they look so cute ..... but they're such a menace ....even when they're just doing what a mole does.
Ever since we had squirrels making nests in our loft (seven nests, as it turned out), we now shoot them and so far we've shot more than twenty in our garden, but part of me still feels slightly guilty about it.

Tim said...

Jean... bushy-tailed tree rats are an alien pest!! Don't feel sorry for them... it was a mistake to introduce them and it will never be undone... so we have restricted the UK red squirrel to a few outposts... great.

Tim said...

I don't think that there are any predators left that would kill and eat moles... so we have to!!

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Jean, you are welcome to come and shoot our moles anytime!!

Colin and Elizabeth said...

I'm with you on the 'killing' bit, Tim, but not so sure about the 'eating'!

Tim said...

Guaca-mole, anyone? (sorry) - Pauline

Diane said...

Colin yo had better come and give me a lesson. My traps go off but I have never had a thing inside them!!!!! Diane

Lesley said...

Boom! Boom ! Tim & Pauline: nice double act.

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Moles are eatable by don't taste very nice... I always put the dead ones on the hill and they go within hours, I suspect the buzzard but have never seen it. Diane, keep at it, just make sure you don't push soil into the run when you set the traps, moles push soil in front of them and snap the trap. I get it regularly.

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Don't encourage them, Lesley...!!

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Oh dear me, Pauline.... !! That's very good!!