Tuesday 27 March 2012

First of the swallowtails

Sunday's walk in the Usseau area revealed several "firsts" for this spring.

We spotted two Tiger Swallowtail butterflies (papilio glaucus) as we walked along a grassy banking in full sun. Luckily one landed long enough for Colin to get this shot, taken from a distance..


The start of this year's STERF butterfly atlas project is just around the corner. Next month we will be conducting the first survey of the year near Assay, 13km northwest of Braye.

For anyone wishing to take part in this year's French butterfly survey, information can be found (in French) here
or email: STERF.Manil@free.fr

4 comments:

Tim said...

Is this not the very common Scarce Swallowtail [Iphiclides podalirius]Flambé? The Tiger Swallowtail [Papilio glaucus] is to my knowledge an Americain only species.

Diane said...

Looks like the Scarce swallowtail to me, I have not seen any yet this year though we do have a few small white, yellow and orange butterflies flitting around. They will just not keep still long enough for me to take photos or identify them. I did see my first cowslips today! Diane

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the correction I should leave the ID to Elizabeth in future....

Susan said...

I thought I saw our other swallowtail Papilio machaon flapping across a neighbours garden a couple of days ago, but wasn't close enough to be sure.