Saturday 31 March 2012

Cheeky Black Redstart

Last spring and summer we had a pair of Black Redstarts nesting in a hole in our eaves and I am sure the nest site was used more than once!


During the winter I was looking at another small roof problem with the same area and decided whilst I had the ladder there to block the hole with two pieces of polystyrene. I am not keen on birds nesting in the roofspace.

That was that or so I thought... No, think again...

The cheeky blighters have pecked and pecked and managed to remove all of the polystyrene and made a mess with bits of the stuff all over the front border...


My first reaction was to get the Mousse Expansive and fill the space with that... However when I got the ladder up you could see progress had been made. I had cleared all previous nesting material out...


So for their cheek I will let them have the space again for this year... Come the winter though and the Mousse Expansive will be out...

We also noticed this week another of our hole nesting friends, the blue tits, have started to use one of the three holes I drilled for them in the garden wall. This was a result of them using an existing hole last year which we blogged about here and here... I will be keeping watch on the others to see if they are in use also...

3 comments:

Susan said...

Our graineterie pair of Black Redstarts are back and nesting too. No sign of occupation by Great Tits in the terracotta amphora in the garden though.

Tim said...

Block it with an expanded mouse by all means... but why not make them a 'robin' type nestbox and put that up there for them.
Before the Laiterie was completed our Black Redstarts nested in the hole in the inside wall left by the removal of the front rail of the hay-rack... the double glazing was in place tho'! This seemed to have suited her as the next year she nested on a ledge in one of the almost completed bedrooms... the future guest room to be exact! They were getting in via the owl hole for the grenier and down through the loft hatch... since then, she's had to nest outside. I don't know how long-lived they are, but only yesterday morning I was sitting in bed with my second cup of Taylor's Yorkshire and a female came and had a good peer in through the window!!
Last year she used an old hammock of material, possibly an old blanket, that is far too high up in the hangar to tidy away... yesterday afternoon she was looking at that too!

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Good idea Tim. Will knock one up when I next have the tools handy. C