Sunday 5 July 2015

Pond Life continued!

When I first considered making a pond in our garden in England, I didn't consider the impact the lay of the land would have on its construction...

As you'll see from these photos, there isn't a level patch of ground in the whole garden and when you're making a pond, that matters!

Then from this point there are steps down to a lower garden...
 
And so on.... Get the picture?

It was a lot of hard work to build up the lower side of the pond and at the time I thought I'd bitten off more than I could chew..

However, it was finished..
and several years later we have captured a scene which has made it all worth while..
From this...
to this, in just a couple of days...

And even better, we were able to film its first flight...

And we've seen several more since, though not another "first flight"

SO glad we have a pond!!

9 comments:

GaynorB said...

WOW! Great video.
Hadn't realised your garden was that steep and mowing must keep you fit. Did you do all the earthworks by hand?

Susan said...

Wonderful!

Jean said...

What a beautiful garden.

Craig said...

The video of the maiden flight is great! Your UK garden is beautiful. How do you take care of it while you are away in France? Do you just catch up when you're back or does someone help you out?

Diane said...

Craig has just asked the same question as I was going to. I thought you were permanently in France. I would love a pond for attracting wild life but I can never see it happening! Take care Diane

Colin and Elizabeth said...

To answer your questions, we keep on top of it when we return to the UK (Hard Work!!!) and also have an elderly gardener who does some work when we are not there.

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Gaynor, if by the earthworks you mean the steps... I built those by hand when I was on my own. Lots of bruises and a crack on the elbow when a flag fell on it, but I survived - and surprisingly, so did the steps, all 19 of them!! (E)

GaynorB said...

All I can say is WOW again! :0)

Colin and Elizabeth said...

I also have photos of Jane lying in the empty pond when I had lined it ready to fill it up!!