Friday 26 August 2011

A sombre place on a sombre day.

We have Elizabeth's daughter and her partner visiting this week and they had been told about Oradour-sur-Glane. The village stopped in time on the 10th June 1944 when 200 Waffen SS travelling between two quarters committed an act of terror. They plundered and burned the village and massacred 642 persons including 193 children. It has been left as it was to this day. For more information click on the link above.

We had never heard of the village before and being interested in WWII history had to go and see it with them.  There is an tasteful subterranean exhibition centre forming the main entrance to the village. It is free to walk around the village itself and visit the memorial.

I will let the pictures show you a very very moving place....


The damp and cooler weather was fitting for the tour. It is very sombre and thought provoking place.

4 comments:

Diane said...

I have also done a post on this. I find the place incredibly spooky. I now send visitors there while I stay at home, I don't want to go there again but I am glad I have seen it. Diane

Craig said...

For some strange reason, I would like to see it. Not because I'd enjoy it, but I think that the remembrance it would offer would be quite sobering. It looks remarkable (and I don't mean that in a good way).

GaynorB said...

I think the pictures say it all.
We first visited about 12 years ago, and then I went back with my son last year when I picked him up from the airport at Limoges. The village still had the capacity to shock as I think one sees something different every time.
I think it also reminds us of the atrocities of war. I have no doubt that similar deeds are still happening somewhere in the world today.....

Susan said...

It is a very remarkable place. I think it's a must see if you are in the area, but I doubt if many people go back. It's very affecting. Don't forget Indre et Loire has its own site of conscience too, at Maillé.