Friday 11 February 2011

France "sans gluten"

How can you live in France and not eat the wonderful baguettes, croissants, pain au chocolat and all the gorgeous confections the French are so good at?

Unfortunately I have an autoimmune disease called Coeliac disease. Gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and rye triggers an immune reaction in people with coeliac disease and damages the lining of the small intestine and sometimes other parts of the body.

Hence no baguettes, croissants, etc... etc...

Over here in France I've struggled to find anything much manufactured specifically for Coeliacs and this has limited my diet as even a trace of gluten is sufficient to cause damage.

I've tried baking my own bread using flours made from rice, potato and maize to name a few, but success has been limited.

Then this week I had a break through! I took a recipe from the Doves Farm website and adapted it slightly to match what I had in store and the result was edible! In fact it was more than edible; it was very good!

My version of the recipe for Gluten-free, wheat-free White Bread is as follows:


1kg Gluten free flour (I used half Doves Farm and half Glutafin multipurpose white mix)
5ml Salt
20ml Dried yeast
60ml sugar
700ml half milk and water mixed
10ml red wine vinegar
90ml sunflower oil
4 eggs

Method:
Mix flours, salt, yeast and sugar
In another bowl mix milk and water, vinegar and eggs
Add flour mixture and mix - I used a mixer with a dough hook.
Spoon oil over and bring together into a ball.
At this stage the mix is very sticky so flour your hands well and knead for five to ten minutes.
Put into a 2LB loaf tin and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
Bake in preheated oven for 50-55 mins at 220C or 200 in a fan oven


If it comes out looking and tasting like mine I'm sure any Coeliac would be happy with the result. It's a vast improvement on most of the commercially available Gluten-free breads out there.

  
So happy bread making to any Coeliacs out there wondering if they will ever enjoy the taste of bread again!!

p.s.Any sources of gluten free flour here in France would be greatly appreciated. I imported all mine from the UK!!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Try the bio section of supermarkets or the organic supermarket chain BioCoop.