Wednesday 10 August 2016

A touching note from a stranger...

We have recently been back to England and before leaving Braye we put some cucumbers outside with the usual note to "Servez-vous, SVP"

We wondered what sort of mess we would find on our return if none were taken. However, we needn't have worried. Not only were they all gone but in the mail box was a note and a donation...

It was signed, but unfortunately we don't know the lady who had left this kind note. I have found her name in the phone book but, like many addresses in rural France, the entry was vague: just giving the road but with no indication which property it was.

This evening I decided to cycle to the road and try to find her house. I went along for about 6km but at that point there were no other properties in view. I could have been searching until the light faded so I turned back, thinking I would ask at the Mairie tomorrow.

Rather than feeling this had been a waste of time, the ride to find this lady was really enjoyable.

In one field there were four hares.. Some were on guard and very alert...

Another tried hiding behind a clump of weeds....

and when that failed to deter me, it just lay low...

These two deer ran across the road in front of my bike but by the time I got out my camera this was the view I got... 

Then, as I neared home, there were fields of sunflowers...


We will trace the lady who left the note because it's important that she knows what her words mean to us.

We have known only acceptance and welcome here in Braye-sous-Faye for which we say "Merci bien".

3 comments:

GaynorB said...

Lovely story, Elizabeth. I'm sure you will both be missed by your neighbours, and I know that your friends will miss you, too xx

Jean said...

This is exactly what we have come to expect from our neighbours in France, too, old fashioned good manners. On the two occasions I left things on the grass verge outside our house in Derbyshire with a "help yourself" notice, they just disappeared, no thank you notes.

We will be very sorry to see you go back to the UK, as I'm sure so many of the friends you have made in France will too, both French and English. But the living in France adventure runs its course for most people eventually I think, only a small proportion staying on to the end, so to speak.
We're looking forward to catching up with you soon, before you disappear!

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Thank you, Gaynor and Jean for your kind words.

We won't be "disappearing", Jean, just setting off on a new and exciting adventure which will take us who knows where.... but it will involve a long flight and plenty of wallabies somewhere along the way. G'day folks!