Wednesday 11 February 2015

The points...

Today has been 2CV service day (1), it is usually done in November, the anniversary of its purchase, so it is a tad overdue...

Oil and filter change was no problem, especially now I own a €5 oil filter wrench...

We have had the 2CV for over two years now and I have never checked the points!!! I am used to just taking off the distribution cap... Not with the 2CV: it's a full dismantle job!

The exposed points!!

To rebuild... First the points box cover...

Then the waterproof rubber thingy...

Then it's replace the fan and fan guard...

and finally re-tighten the alternator belt...

Yes, they did require adjustment from 12 thou to 16 thou...

And now for something completely different... How many times have you thought 'A hook would be very useful for that, if only I had one'

Well get yourselves to Lidl...

One of this weeks offers, at €2.99 well worth keeping on the shelf... The biggest problem will be remembering I bought them!!!

2 comments:

Jean said...

A man can never have too many hooks..........Not to mention tools, gadgets and gizmos!
It's the same with a lady and her sewing needles, paintbrushes and in one lady's case, chisels!

Tim said...

Right... now get yourself a Boyer Bransden Electronic Ignition...
and you won't have to do that job again!
Well, not for ten years!!
We have one on the '56...
how's that for being modern...
and I have one to fit on the '89...
the other one was melted when it fell off the mounting plate...
onto the exhaust.
The BB system is non-invasive and uses the points as an on-off switch... hence the lack of annual re-adjustment....
and, unlike the 123 system...
can be over-ridden by linking round the box with a wire [carried in the car!]... should it break down....
or get melted!!
[The 123 system replaces the points box... which means a tow home! And many garages do not know how to tow a 2CV and bend the chassis in the process!!]


And I see you have the same memory "what did I do with that whosit-wotsit I got from Lidl..."
and "that looks just the ticket" syndrome... and then discovering last years UNOPENED boxfull on the shelf!
I will probably use most of the 302 hooks and eyes...
eventually!!
To try and cope with this I bought...
yesterday, as t'appens...
a ten drawer tower for the workshop to put such things in...
all I have to do now is...
to do that!!